Show Me Missed Calls Friday 15 May 2009



First up is the acapella of Show Me Love by Robin S over Missed Calls by TRG. I loved the TRG track when I first heard it in a Modeselektor mix given to me by a colleague, who subsequently downloaded the track on its own and gave me a copy.

I'm not sure why or when, but at some point I started to think the Show Me Love vocal would be great over it, but all a lot of searching seemed to turn up was that the acapella didn't exist. Then, whilst randomly searching for acapellas in general - it turned up, as if by magic. This was fate, so I thought I'd better do that mix.

Like pretty much everything I do these days it was done in Ableton Live. I did it to the speed of the TRG track, and the vocal sped up without sounding too odd. I knew where I wanted the main vocal hook to be and, after cutting a bizarre scat section i hadn't remembered from the end, set about chopping up the rest of the vocal in some kind of sensible structure. It's not a verse/chorus kind of thing but it seems to work.

Generally I liked how it sounded with the vocal samples in the TRG track and just edited out one that seemed to clash.

That's it - the first one! enjoy...

PS: This became weirdly timely when a fairly pointless cover version of Show Me Love by Steve Angello and Laidback Luke was a hit in the UK. They seem to be "featuring Robin S" but tho very close, it's not the original vocal. Maybe she re-sang it.

Show Me Love by Robin S

Download from itunesDownload from itunesDownload from itunes

Missed Calls by TRG

On vinyl at juno / download from beatport




0 comments: