We Come Strange Thursday 20 August 2009

This is the vocal from Faithless's "We Come One" chopped up over Zomby's "Strange Fruit"... I can only apologise for the gap due to hols and broken software, but I'm back!

I first heard Zomby off of the Modeselektor mix I mentioned before. It was this track, but I soon found some other stuff and love the old school rave tribute "Where Were You In 92" - like 2 minute pop song versions of rave classics. sortof.

Anyway, "Strange Fruit" really got me but I wondered if it was because of the title at least partly. The first and only time I ever cried at a film was the scene in Mississippi Burning where they played this song and showed people who'd been hung. Weirdly I now can't find any evidence it was actually in the film, but it's kind of a heavy song in any case...



As ever, i don't really know why the Faithless song suggested itself, maybe because the little half vocal bits in the Zomby track sound a bit like parts of it. Like some of the others, I spent a while thinking there was no such acapella but eventually found it - maybe on acapellas4u.co.uk. Which is awesome.

0 comments: