Finest Things That Dreams Are Made Of Thursday 17 September 2009

Human League's "Things That Dreams Are Made Of" (off of the instrumental "League Unlimited Orchestra" album) with the vocal from "The Finest" by SOS Band.

I can't really claim this one as it wasn't my idea. Let me explain....

Back when bootlegs were All The Rage, a producer called Richard X became famous for doing them and applied the idea to a bunch of pop stuff, including "Finest Dreams" by Kelis.



Now, it doesn't take a genius to work out where the bits come from, but I'd never heard the two original tracks together before and besides it was pretty entertaining at the time since the Kelis thing was pretty big, so I used to play this out. You can just about do it on a pair of turntables, though I'd run the vocal at +8 and the track at -5 :)

I'm not sure if the Richard X thing actually uses the whole Human League track or is replayed - there's certainly other stuff been added but the changes and the way the vocal fits over the top is pretty much like playing the two oiriginals (though you do have to stop the vocal for a bit in the middle).

The SOS band thing doesn't have an acapella as such, it's a sparse bit at the end of the dub mix on the 12". It does have some synths and percussion but I mostly ducked them out here. I always tried to get another track on before the stuff about Norman Wisdom comes in at the end but never quite managed it so I've left it in here too!

0 comments: